Next week the Glasgow 2014 team will be hosting an event at GSA. This event, open to all of our staff and students, will highlight the wealth of volunteer opportunities available as part of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games.
The Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games are Glasgow and Scotland’s biggest ever sporting event to date.To ensure that this event is a huge success, the Glasgow 2014 team are currently recruiting up to 15,000 friendly people to volunteer and help support the running of the events.
So why come along to the event ? Apart from learning more about the 2014 Games, the event is also an ideal opportunity to explore how volunteering can make a significant impact on you, your skills and your experience. So if you haven’t considered volunteering as part of your professional development, here are my reasons why you should….
So why volunteer?Volunteering is
- A great way to contribute to and support causes that have an impact on individuals and the wider community.
- A great way to develop new skills.
- A great way to try out different jobs and career options.
- A great way to expand your network with like minded people and professionals.
- It can lead to employment, many employers recognise that volunteering can build an individuals confidence, as well as demonstrates a high level of motivation and professional skills for the work place.
- It demonstrates your commitment to work, 73% of employers would employ a candidate with volunteering experience over one who doesn’t: http://www.worldvolunteerweb.org/resources/how-to-guides/volunteer/doc/benefits-of-volunteering.html
- Finally the Glasgow 2014 volunteer opportunity is a great way to expand your cultural awareness and international network.
See link for further articles on the benefits of volunteering: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/feb/20/graduate-careers-volunteering-employers-initiative
EVENT: Glasgow 2014 Presentation Thursday 7th February 2013 12 noon. Mackintosh Lecture Theatre GSA
Find out more about Glasgow 2014 here: http://www.glasgow2014.com
Applications to the Glasgow 2014 volunteer programme are open until 28 February 2013
Find out more about volunteering:
Voluntary Arts: http://www.voluntaryarts.org/
Volunteer Scotland: http://www.volunteerscotland.org.uk
Third sector internships: http://www.3rdsectorintern.org.uk